Thursday 11 February 2016

Max Factor vs. Maybelline: Mascara

Mascara is one of my favourite make-up products, if you find a really good one, it will make your eyes pop and finish off any make-up look perfectly. I am always on the lookout for new mascaras to try and add to my favourites list.

Recently, Maybelline have released a new mascara called "The Falsies Push Up Drama" it is supposed to add a push up false lash effect. Due to this, I thought I would do a side by side comparison with the Max Factor "Velvet Volume False Lash Effect" mascara. Both products are supposed to achieve the same thing with your lashes, I wanted to find out which one was better. 
 Packaging

To help persuade you to buy a product, the packaging has to look attractive and appealing. I think that both of these mascaras do that very well! The Maybelline mascara has a red/pink packaging with a black stripe in the middle, this contrasts very well with the brighter colours. The packaging has a shiny effect which I think is very pretty. Unfortunately, this is where the positive points about this product end. 

The Max Factor mascara is completely different with its packaging, it focuses on black and gold. These are the Max Factor colours and are interlinked with all their products, I really like this as it connects all products and makes them immediately recognisable. Unlike the Maybelline mascara, the Max Factor packaging has a matte finish. I like both the matte and shiny finish as I think it works well for both. 

The Brush

The brush is a vital part of mascara, it can make or break the product in my opinion. The Maybelline mascara has a very short bristles, this makes it hard to separate your lashes, instead, it immediately clumps them together, giving you a 'lovely' five spider legs effect. If you are into thick clumpy dry lashes then this is definitely the mascara for you! The substance is sticky which sticks your lashes together and also makes it difficult to remove the product at the end of the day. Personally, it is the worst mascara I have ever bought! It does not achieve the false lash effect that it says it does, I am very disappointed!


The Max Factor Velvet Volume is my favourite mascara! I bought the Maybelline mascara to try something new that was slightly cheaper as I assumed it would have the same effect on my lashes. I wish I just replaced my Max Factor mascara instead. The brush head on this mascara has a lot more bristles that are also a lot longer. This gives it the ability to brush through your lashes and separates them to achieve the perfect false lash effect. It does not clump your lashes and is definitely worth trying out!
The Price

I have taken my prices off of Boots.com so you may find the products cheaper else where.

Maybelline "The Falsies Push Up Mascara" retails at £7.99, I was able to get this at £5.99 due to an offer going on at the time. In my opinion, I think the mascara is not even worth £5.99.

Max Factor "Velvet Volume False Lash Effect Mascara" retails at £11.99. This is quite expensive for a mascara, and you can easily find some cheaper alternatives. However, if you want to get a really high quality product that does exactly what it says on the tin, then it is 100% worth the price.

Overall, I think the Max Factor mascara is a better quality product that is definitely worth the money. I am disappointed in Maybelline as I have had so many amazing products from them, I feel very let down.

This is just my personal review, you may think different. 

Thanks for reading!

Ellie xx

No comments:

Post a Comment