Monday 15 August 2016

Kylie Jenner Lip Kit Review...

Hi everyone!

Back in July, I was very lucky to get my hands on one of Kylie Jenner's renowned 'Lip Kits'! I have been looking at them for ages but have always been unsuccessful when trying to buy as they sell out within minutes. This time however, Kylie announced on her snapchat that she was doing her biggest restock yet which would allow you to browse through her shop and not worry about them all selling out. I still wasn't taking any chances and this time I was able to buy one within 2 minutes of being on the site!

Before purchasing the lip kit, I watched a lot of reviews and swatches on YouTube to help me decide on the colour to get. I was really tempted to get one of her metals but decided on a lip kit as you were getting two products rather than one. I chose 'Posie K' as I wanted a more natural colour so I could get the most use out of it as possible. The swatch videos I saw did make it look like a deep pink colour but when you actually apply it, it is definitely more towards purple and maroon. I am a huge lover of berry toned lips so although it wasn't what I expected, I wasn't disappointed.

Price

The price of the lip kit was $29 but in the packet you get a lip liner and a matte liquid lipstick, so essentially you are paying $15 for each. This is around the same price as other high end makeup brands such as Mac so I wouldn't say it is extravagantly expensive. However, the delivery costs and custom fee is! The price to deliver to the Uk was $14.95 and then when it actually arrived I had to pay a customs fee of £11.95. Making my overall cost come to about £45 which I think altogether is far too much money for what you are getting. I know the customs fee is not Kylie's fault and I should have researched this first but it is still slightly annoying.


Packaging

The box the product came in was just plain black on the outside but when you open it up it has Kylie's name, website, and her signature white lipstick drips. I know this used to be on the outside of the box too but she had some trouble with people breaking in to the box and tampering/stealing the products while they were in transit. I like the contrast between the black box and white writing giving it a basic but classic look. Inside the box is your product and a postcard from Kylie with a secret note.


The lip kit comes in a white box with a block colour down the side and top, this matched the shade you chose. The product name stands out underneath a painting if some lips wearing the lip kit. On the back of the box, it gives you some of Kylie's tips on how to apply the product. This does show that she put a lot of time and thought into the packaging.


The lip liner is just a plain black liner with the shade of colour at the end. The liner packaging does feel and look matte which I think is nice as it links the packet too the product. The liquid lipstick packaging follows the drip theme and contrasts well with the black and the shade of product.

Overall, I think the packaging looks really nice. It is quite simple which I think works and you can tell that Kylie has added some personal touches and it is to her taste.

The Product

The product is advertised as a creamy, lightweight, matte liquid lipstick which I do agree with. Both the lip liner and liquid lipstick are super easy to apply to your lips and are very soft/creamy when applying. The product dries matte within about 30 seconds which is very quick in comparison to other matte liquid lipsticks. It is lightweight on your lips so it feels like you are not wearing any product.


Although it feels creamy when applying, it does feel very dry on your lips which I personally don't like that much. Although it feels dry on your lips, it doesn't flake off and doesn't leave your lips dry or chapped. That sounds a bit contradictory I know, but if you have a lip kit or have tried other matte liquid lipsticks, you'll probably know what I mean. It also has a tendency to crease which can give your lips a more dried out look. This only happens occasionally so I wouldn't say this is a huge negative. The formula is very different to other liquid lipsticks I have tried such as NYX and Maybelline, which I think could be the reason behind how long it lasts on your lips. It will easily last all day without the need to re-apply and it is actually really difficult to get off with makeup remover!

One downside to this product is that if you make a mistake while applying, you will have to remove all of it and start again. You are unable to fill a little bit in due to its speedy drying time. I know this a common issue with liquid lipsticks, but with the NYX Soft Matte Lip Creams, you have enough time to cover your mistakes before it completely dries which makes your life ten times easier!

Overall, I think the product is great but is definitely not worth the price! There are a lot of cheaper alternatives such as the NYX Soft Matte Lip Creams which are just as good, if not slightly better! The colour is super pigmented and the product is long lasting but can make your lips look a bit dry. I think I won't be buying a lip kit from Kylie again unless I see a colour I really love. However, I think the brand itself is great and I do fancy trying one of her metals or glosses.

Ellie xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment